MEncoder - Encoding with subtitle for PS3 playback

I have to admit that PS3 is very fussy on the playback format. Even encoding with H.264 and AAC in a MP4 container does not always work due to problem such as profile, encoding parameters, etc...

So, the best playback format for PS3 is xvid with mp3 in avi container.

Below is a sample command to encode a file to a xvid with mp3 in avi container with MEncoder


mencoder.exe "input.mp4" -o "output.avi" -oac mp3lame -ovc xvid -xvidencopts fixed_quant=4 -sub "input.srt"

-o --> define a output file

-oac --> output audio codec. mp3lame is the encoder name for mp3

-ovc --> output video codec. xvid is the encoder name for xvid

-xvidencopts --> xvid encoder options. You must define it. The simplest setting is to define fixed_quant level.

fixed_quant define the quality level for the output codec. It ranges from 1 to 31 with 1 is the best. Under my testing 4 is a good setting that provide high quality video with smaller file size. 1, 2 and 3 does not provide much quality improvement to 4 and they will provide you with a much bigger file.

-srt --> subtitle for your file

Comments

  1. First of all, thanks very much for the post. This wasn't quite what I wanted but sorted out all of the hard stuff for me. Many of the other programs 'fix' things for me, like aspect ratio which I don't want. In my case I wanted to rip directly from old DVD's I have, so my command is

    mencoder dvd://1 -o output.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc xvid -xvidencopts fixed_quant=4 -nosub

    For some reason it kept auto selecting subtitle ID 1, so I decided to just get rid of it with -nosub.

    Much appreciated

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts